When is Veterans Day? The United States will be observing Veterans Day on Wednesday, November 11, 2020. This year, it will fall within the second week of November. Every year, Veterans Day in the United States is observed on November 11. Taking about the holidays, there exists a federal holiday and a national holiday.
When the nation marks its independence, day of establishment, or any salient occasion, then it is called a national holiday. Whereas the federal holiday is a significant day when the state declares a public holiday. Well, you may want to know when Veterans Day is observed, if it is observed as a federal holiday or a national holiday, etc. We have covered all such information in this article. So, without wasting any more time, let’s start.
Is Veterans Day a Federal Holiday?
Veterans Day is a federal holiday. US government also calls it a state holiday in almost every state except Wisconsin. Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11, regardless of the day. In case November 11 falls on the weekend, then you will observe it on the nearest weekday.
Is Veterans Day a National Holiday?
The United States doesn’t have a “national” holiday. Veterans Day, which was initially known as Armistice Day, is not a national holiday. It is a federal holiday and is celebrated to honor military veterans.
If Veterans Day falls on a weekend, there will exist two scenarios:
- The first scenario is when it falls on Saturday: In this case, the holiday will be on Saturday; else the preceding Friday will be observed as a holiday.
- The second scenario is when it falls on Sunday: In this case, you will notice a holiday on the succeeding Monday.
What Is Closed On Veterans Day?
As Veterans Day is a federal holiday; thus, post offices will remain closed. Additionally, nearly all banks will also remain closed. You can even expect closing at educational institutions and local government offices.
- Federal Reserve Banks and Bank of America & Wells Fargo will remain closed on this day.
- USPS will not be delivering mail on this day as post offices are closed. Whereas UPS will carry forward package delivery, and some of their stores will remain closed.
- All non-essential federal government offices will be closed.
- Courts will remain closed.
What Is Open On Veterans Day?
As Veterans Day is observed as a Federal holiday; thus, some offices and government institutions remain closed, whereas some remain open.
- Nearly all banks remain closed, but TD Bank is open and works in the usual manner.
- Talking about the mail services, USPS is closed, but FedEx and UPS deliver packages with their exclusively modified services.
- Almost all schools remain closed. Some schools may choose to run similar to other working days.
- Some selected city libraries will be open, and the rest will remain closed.
- The New York Stock Exchange & Nasdaq don’t observe it as a holiday and will remain open.
- National parks usually remain open. Also, the management waives off the entrance fees.
- Nearly all department stores & retail shops remain open. Besides this, Grocery stores also remain open.
After reading this article, you will be having an answer to all your basic queries, including when is veterans day 2020 observed, what offices are closed on veterans day, and many more. Plan your work as per the business sector that are open on November 11, 2020.